If your child is preparing for the ISEB Common Pre-Test, you’ve likely heard about the Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning components. These sections are designed to assess your child’s academic potential in ways that may differ from their regular classroom experience.
Verbal reasoning is all about assessing your child’s ability to understand and reason using concepts framed in words. It tests a range of English language skills, including word meaning, comprehension, reasoning, and logic. Questions in this section can be unfamiliar and challenging, but with the right approach and plenty of practice, your child can succeed.
Non-verbal reasoning involves the ability to understand and analyse visual information and solve problems using visual reasoning. It includes questions that assess non-verbal reasoning and spatial reasoning. This section measures the ability to perceive and think about visual patterns and relationships, often involving shapes and images.
Tips for Success
1. Understand the Format: Both the Verbal and Non-verbal reasoning sections of the ISEB Pre-Test are online, adaptive, and multiple choice. This means that the difficulty level of the questions adjusts in real-time based on your child’s performance.
2. Practice, Practice, Practice: Familiarity with the question types and test format is key. Practice with materials that simulate the real test experience.
3. Devour Books: Reading books can greatly help your child prepare for the ISEB entrance exams in various ways, but most notably they can
- Develop Vocabulary and Language Skills
- Enhance Comprehension Skills
- Improve Patience and Concentration
As well as providing them with a wide range of knowledge on different topics!
4. Stay Calm and Focused: The adaptive nature of the test may mean that questions get more difficult if your child is doing well. Remind them that harder questions are a good sign and encourage them to stay focused and do their best.
Additional Support with LessonWise
While your child’s school will undoubtedly provide preparation and support, additional tutoring can be beneficial. At LessonWise, we offer tailored tutoring services that can help your child prepare for the ISEB exam. Our experienced tutors understand the intricacies of the test and can provide targeted practice and strategies to boost confidence and performance.