This policy was drafted following the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018) and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulation (PECR).
Purpose and Who we are
LessonWise is an online platform that facilitates the delivery of interactive online lessons and courses, the self-advertising of educators, and the connections and interactions between such educators, and students on a global scale. LessonWise (the “Site”) is operated and controlled by Education Technologies Limited (“we”, “us”, “our”), a company registered in England and Wales under the number 12378750. We are the controllers of all personal data collected through our Site.
We take privacy very seriously and are always committed to protecting it. Below we’ve set out information and rules which define what information we keep, and all the choices you have to access, update, delete, and control such information.
Changes to this Policy
Why We Collect and Process Personal Data
The legal bases to use your personal information and data are summarised below:
- Our use of your personal data is required for us to:
- Run and develop our business.
- Operate our Site and provide our services to our users.
- Protect and safeguard our users.
- Conduct market research and statistical analysis.
- Carry out marketing campaigns and strategies.
- For internal administrative and auditing purposes.
The type of Information we collect
“Personal information” or “Personal Data” is defined as information concerning any living person, that is not already in the public domain. It is any information that we can use to identify an individual. For instance, this is data that allows you to be identified as a particular person, such as your name, phone number, or your address. It does not include personal information that is encoded or anonymized, or publicly available information that has not been combined with non-public information.
The personal information that we may collect, store and transfer through our services is outlined below:
- Identity verification including name, surname, username, date of birth, profile picture and profile video.
- Contact Information including email address, alternate email address, phone number, language(s), postal address, country of origin and timezone.
- Profile Information including your username and password, your biographical information, your work and teaching experience including any relevant case studies, your research experience, your hobbies and interests, your subjects of interest and the subjects you are able to teach, any references provided about you, and any testimonials provided about you. This information may also include your ratings as a Tutor, your online visibility, your availability to be hired for private courses, and your site usage preferences such as your notifications settings.
- Third Party Payment Processing. LessonWise provides you with the ability to pay and get paid for courses and lessons purchased or offered on our Site through a third party payment processing service provider (Stripe - link). Please note that this service provider – not LessonWise – collects and processes your financial information. This Financial Information includes your bank account and payment card details.
- Detailed information regarding payments due to you and made by you for services you’ve rendered or purchased on our site.
- Information related to your use of our Site. This includes tracking, collecting, and aggregating information showing which pages of our Site you visited, the order in which you visited them, when you visited them, and which hyperlinks you clicked. We may also collect information from the URLs from which you linked to our Site. This process may include logging the IP address, operating system, and browser software used by each user of our Site. By logging your IP address we may be able to determine your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity.
- Video recordings and transcriptions of lessons delivered on our platform.
- Your communications with us. We may receive Personal Data when you message us via email or otherwise contact us. This information includes all text, video, audio, screenshots and files you share.
- Personal Data provided by you when you participate in Surveys we organise as well as any feedback you’ve provided us.
How we use your Personal Data
- Information related to your use of our Site: we use information related to your use of this Site to further improve the quality of our services, to fine tune existing functionalities and features and develop new ones, and to enhance and refine your experience as a user. We achieve this by collecting the aggregate characteristics and behaviour of our users, carrying out statistical analyses, and measuring their demographics and interests regarding specific areas, pages and hyperlinks of our Site. We may also use this information to ensure the security of our users and of the entire Site.
- Technical Support and security: we use your Personal Data to provide you with technical support and to ensure your security as a user and the security of our entire site.
- Updates and improvements: we use the Personal Data we collect when you create an account with us to inform you about new functionalities and features, any updates or improvements to our services, and any relevant changes to our policies. We may archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- Communications with LessonWise: when you get in touch with us we may use the information you provide us with to adequately respond to you. We may also archive this information and use it for future communications with you. In the scenario where we email you, ask you to complete a survey or provide us with your feedback, we may track the way you interact with these emails, for example, identify when you open an email or click on a link inside an email, and we may store and process the answers you provide to any surveys or feedback questionnaires. We use this information for the sole purpose of optimising and improving our communications to and with you.
- Conducting Research: we may share general data sourced from lessons and courses including lesson recordings and transcriptions, tasks set by tutors, assessments, reports, grades, public discussions on our Site, information about your activities on our site, and any demographic data we can extract from such activities, with our business partners so that they may use the data for research related to education.
- Content offerings: we use your Personal Data, Profile Information and information about your use of our Site to deliver relevant and effective content including new courses registered by tutors, courses with high number of enrolments, popular and engaging tutors on our Site, potential connections with other users with similar skills and interests, and new subjects being offered. We process and analyse this information in order to determine the effectiveness of such content in order to further improve our offerings and content listings in the future, promote interactivity between our users, promote engaging and highly performing users, and keep our Site updated.
- Marketing: we use your Personal Data, the information related to your use and activities on our Site, your interactions with other users, and the public discussions on our site to promote our services directly on the Site as well as on third party platforms. In the specific scenario where we use the Personal Data of a specific user or group of users, we will seek their approval in advance before launching any public marketing campaign.
- Payments: we store some of your financial data in order to provide you with a transparent overview of your financial activity on our Site. This information contains your history of completed payments as a student, your history of received payments as a tutor, and all upcoming payments related to the lessons and courses you deliver as a tutor.
Your General rights as a Data Subject
Since GDPR you have important rights to protect your Personal Data. You may access any of these rights by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A summary of such rights is outlined below:
- Right of access: you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. Please contact us if you would like to know more about what data we hold about you.
- Right of rectification: you have a right to ask us to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten: you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records where there is no longer a good reason for us to continue to process it.
- Right to restriction of processing: where certain conditions apply, you have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right to object: you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right of portability: you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right of deletion: you have the right to request for the data we hold about you to be deleted. Unless we have relevant legal basis for continuing to store your Personal Data, we will delete it within 30 days after you’ve withdrawn your consent.
Questions, Suggestions and Complaints
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your Personal Data is being processed by LessonWise, you have the right to complain to us. If you do not get a response within 30 days, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) using the details below:
ICO – Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF, +44 (0) 303 123 1113, or e-mail https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/